July 05, 2022
Sweet Potato Gnocchi by Mia Rigden
Since everyone seems up to a challenge in the kitchen these days, I’m sharing one of my more complex recipes. I normally opt for something simple, but I these are fun and satisfying to make!
- Add the sweet potato, salt, almond, tapioca and coconut flour to a stand-up mixer with the paddle attachment and begin to mix. Meanwhile, lightly beat the egg and add to the mixture.
- Create a decent sized work station to roll out the dough. Start by throwing a generous handful of tapioca flour on the surface. Grab a tennis ball-sized piece of the gnocchi dough and begin to roll in between your hands to create a tube. Continue rolling the dough on the work space, adding tapioca flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until the dough is about ½-3/4 of an inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 1-inch slices and roll over a gnocchi board to get grooves (make sure to dust the gnocchi roller with flour first). You can also use a fork for this. Continue to roll until you have enough gnocchi. The dough will last in the fridge for a few days, so you don’t have to roll it all out at once.
- To cook the gnocchi, bring a pot of water to a soft boil. The wider the pot the better. Add the gnocchi one by one, giving each a little space so they don’t stick to together. When the gnocchi floats to the top, it’s done. Remove with a slotted spoon until all of the gnocchi are cooked. If they stick to the bottom, just lightly nudge until it loosens.
- Once the gnocchi are cooked, heat ghee in a large sauté pan. Add gnocchi and sauté until golden and slightly crispy. Top with a little olive oil and sea salt, and serve!